Hackney, in the late 17th century, a long time before it was a central and crowded borough of London, was a peaceful rural retreat from the City life for wealthy gentlemen. Several substantial houses, built for merchants, goldsmiths and other prominent citizens, once ran along Mare Street, the southern part of the present road. The New Lansdowne Club is the only one still surviving.
The surrounding area of the New Lansdowne Club. 1831
Click on image to enlarge and read more